I am made of photography,stories from the road and a good dose of passion. I am Ophélie, French-born traveler always on the go. My travel photography blog is about sharing my travel experiences, tips and my addiction for adventure. To help you explore countries on your own… as an independent and curious traveller.
for beginner photographer on travel
Beginner photography tips
July 29, 2018
If the purchase of a first camera is definitely the most exciting step for a beginner photographer, the question of camera gear will come soon. For travel photography, we think lightweight, ease of use, resistance and budget. Here are some essentials for camera gear – to improve your travel photography.
6 essentials to have when you do travel photography - for the beginner photographer
Which camera gear for travel photography?
3.Laptop for photo editing software
4.Camera gear – storage
5.Camera bag, batteries and cleaning kit
Camera gear number 1: the lenses
Lenses are of course the most important camera gear to get besides a camera. How to buy lenses – what to consider? Here are some basic photography tips.
CameraWhich lenses are compatible? This particularly matters for mirrorless cameras. This kind of camera has often a limited lens compatibility.
BudgetLenses cost… and weight. That’s why 1 to 2 lenses are enough at first. The camera kits often come with wide range lenses – 16-50mm. It’s a big advantage for a beginner photographer because it’s flexible and cheap. Feel like a landscape photographer in the morning. Go for a portrait shooting in the evening. That’s perfectly possible with a 16-50mm lens!
Basic photography tips – Which lenses for which purpose?
- The classic 16-50mm lens – often sold as lens kit along with the camera. For landscape to portrait photography. Even if it has its limitations, it’s a good start to learn photography.
- The wide range lens 24-100mm. More powerful zoom for portrait and macro photography.
- The 16-35mm is for those who love landscape photography – classic wide-angle lens.
- The 50 or 35mm (f/1.4), the 70-200mm (f/2.8) – camera gear for portrait photographers.
- The 85mm, 105mm or 200mm – for macro photography
Number 2: the tripod
Tripod in travel photography is almost as necessary as hot chocolate ona winter day. It will help get your travel photos to the next level. The tripod allows you to reduce blur due to the movements of your hands when photographing. It stabilizes the camera and that’s particularly important when doing landscape photography, in low light situations and for portraits.
Why a tripod for your camera gear?Which lenses are compatible? This particularly matters for mirrorless cameras. This kind of camera has often a limited lens compatibility.
My travel photography tips
Stable, light, with adjustable size and head– that’s how the tripod should be.
Most famous brand for camera tripods: Manfrotto.
Find also your tripod on ebay, amazon and other marketplaces. They offer bargains.
Around 50$ for good entry level tripods.
Gear number 3: software to edit photos
How to choose a photo editing software?
- Consider the budget – open source tools for free vs. licensed photo editor
- Find a photo software which matches your needs. Open source software for light editing photography licensed software for more professional work
- Look for deals on marketplaces (ebay, amazon)
Number 4: camera gear and travel laptop
Travel laptop for photo editing – beginner
If you choose an advanced software, read this part.
A heavy editing photo software needs a quite powerful laptop. Problem: our travel laptop should be light, small and not too expensive – no need to spend a fortune on technical gear you will carry in the backpack or expose at potential robbers.
How to choose a laptop for photo editing when you travel?
- Check these specifications: min. 2 Ghz, Intel i5 or i7 processor, min. 8 GB RAM, 12 inch screen, 250GB SSD storage, graphic card with 2GB vram min., OS (Windows 7 Service pack to Windows 10, macOS 10.11 to 10.13).
- Look for laptop models from the past few years (5 years backwards max.)
- Check the weight of the laptops. More than 1.5 kg is already heavy on travel.
- Compare laptop prices on marketplaces (ebay, amazon, cash converter).
- Make a nice compromise between power, portability and budget.
Which laptop is best for photo editing?
- Apple Macbook > Macbook Air from 2015 on, 12 inch Macbook Pro. Adapted to Photoshop / lightweight laptop.
- HP > Elite book 820, HP Spectre x360. Portability, good performance and budget laptop.
- Asus Zenbook serie (the latest: ASUS ZenBook UX330UA). Performance and portability.
- Dell > Dell Inspiron, Dell XPS 13. Tiny and fast.
- Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 260
Number 5: photo storage
Photos will become soon space consuming travel mates. Where to stock them is an essential question in travel photography – tips for the beginner photographer.
Number 6: Camera bag and basic photo gear
You might not think about it when it comes to camera gea. But the camera bag is actually an important part. Because it will protect your most precious tool as photographer – your camera, you got it.
A good camera bag will be:
– Easy to carry with you, especially on travel
– Adapted to the size of the camera and other gear you need. Look at pockets and spaces for lenses, batteries, buundles, etc
There is a range of different bags made for individual needs. Shoulder bags for small cameras, backpacks for DSLRs, stylish messenger camera bags for being discreet and classy. Here you will find a selection of camera bags to get an idea of what you need. For cheap prices, look at second-hand bags on Ebay, Amazon and so on.
– Spare batteries for long trips (according to the model of your camera)
– Bundle to carry the camera around the neck or wrist
– Microfiber tissues and ear pads to clean the lens
– Camera bag: solid and waterproof
And if you shared me?