I am made of photography,stories from the road and a good dose of passion. I am Ophélie, French-born traveler always on the go. My travel photography blog is about my travel experiences, tips and my addiction for adventure. To help you explore countries on your own… as an independent and curious traveller.
Written by Ophelie
Published 25th September 20
Will take 6mn to read
Koh Rong is a surprising place where the most often said sentence is… “I’ll leave tomorrow for sure, this is my last party tonight”. And the next day: “oups, I missed the boat”. I came for a night… six weeks and a fair amount of beach parties later, I took off. In my eyes, Koh Rong in Cambodia belongs to the best party destinations and full moon party places in South East Asia. Let me give you 7 travel tips on how to enjoy Koh Rong nightlife… because it’s as simple as a a pair of tongs.
What to read here about Koh Rong nightlife?
- Why to stay
- Koh Rong nightlife: how to become a party mouse in 7 steps
- Extra tips on Koh Rong island: photography, how to get there, visa
How much will it cost me, for 7 days?
1 $ = 4.090 Riel (Sep. 2020)
70 to 200 $
What is so special about Koh Rong island to make you stay?
Drop what you are doing, close your eyes and imagine…
Source: Google images
Koh Rong nightlife and its travel party vibes – how to become a party mouse in 7 steps
Step 1 – Get into Koh Rong nightlife by hanging out with the islanders
Then, get to know some cool travellers and locals who will make your nightlife experience awesome. It’s easy to get in touch with your roommates and the local staff at hostels. The fun one will dance with you until sunrise. The adventurous traveller will go for a night swim with you and the plankton. And the last but not the least, the nice and gentleman one will spend you a few Rum Cokes at the party and look after you… in case you lose control, which is highly possible.
- Happy Elephant Bungalows – Bungalows near the jungle. Fall asleep at the sound of geckos and the nearby waterfall. Private rooms with balcony. Quiet. At the end of the ascending road, straight coming from the main pier. From 8$.
- Green Ocean – Most comfortable hotel on the main road. Fall asleep at the sound of the waves! Right in front of the sea. Private rooms from 9$ and dorm under the roof. Balconies and common living room with good Internet, overviewing the sea.
- Bong – Backpacker hostel. If you are into hostel parties! Quite loud. Bathrooms and toilets: rudimentary.
- Long Set resort – resort with private rooms. From 48$. On Long Set beach. Outdoor pool.
Step 2 – Know when and where is Koh Rong nightlife happening
Travel tips to Nest Beach club, Koh Rong nightlife hotspot
- walk up the main beach (left hand side from the main peer in the Village) and take the path starting from the guest house XX. Take a phone/ light with you at night.
- Facebook groups about Koh Rong nightlife, to get latest info: Nest Beach Club, Koh Rong Positive Beats Project
Travel tips on Police Beach Koh Rong
- To go there: on the right from the main pier in the Village, pass the bridge after Green Ocean guest house and continue straight. Then the path on your left passing in front of the bar Adventure Adam. Follow the “path” (moody after the rain).
- Safety when swimming during a party: look after yourself. Don’t take risks. I didn’t see any accident and didn’t have any myself, just by keeping aware and surrounded.
Watch out for the full moon party
Travel tips on Koh Rong full moon party
- Facebook group: Full moon Koh Rong
Step 3 – Find the good party deals of Koh Rong nightlife!
Koh Rong can get quite expensive if you start partying three times a week… that’s why some insider travel party tips could help your budget.
- Tickets for every party a few hours before are sold at Cocos for 8$ instead of 10 at the party.
- Nest Festival is for free, what is very cool. You might buy a ticket for one dollar giving you free shots until 6pm (Nest starts early!) and happy hour until midnight. Not very useful though since people start arriving after midnight and it’s quite empty before.
- Another trick is… to work on Koh Rong. If you plan to stay a bit longer, it will be the way to be on the island without spending for food, accommodation… and parties! As worker on Koh Rong (volunteering often in hostels and bars), you don’t pay for the parties.
Step 4 – dress up accordingly
Or better say… don’t bother wearing your chic dress. Everyone goes to the party as a Robinson Crusoe. Plus, there is no shopping mall to go to. And you’ll want to be at ease to dance like crazy!
Step 5 – enjoy a drink at Koh Rong’s bars before the party
The beach parties and full moon party on Koh Rong start officially around 9pm… but in reality, not before midnight. People use to drink at the hostels and bars of Koh Rong island before partying. I give you some names where to immerse yourself into party mood. If you like cozy atmosphere and want to listen to the electro beats of Koh Rong nightlife before everyone, go to Runaway – little bar where the DJs sometimes play before going to the party!
Travel tips on bars and restaurants on Koh Rong island
- Bars: Coco’s, Runaway, Skybar
- Restaurants: White Rose guesthouse, take away on the main road with tables on the beach
- More bars and restaurants I didn’t try
- Facebook group : general info and tips about Koh Rong island > Koh Rong community locals & expats
Step 6 - go wild and enjoy Koh Rong nightlife and island’s life!
Once you managed to reach either Police Beach or the Nest on 4K beach, you are fine! Go to the beach to meet people, to feel the atmosphere and to enjoy the scenery. The lights of Sihanoukville’s harbor on the other side are such a peaceful picture while hitting the sand at the sound of electro beats. Then, warm up… and dance like never, forget the real world!
Step 7 - watch sunrise
One of the most amazing moments I had was on this morning, after a busy dancing night. The colours in the sky showed a stunning palette of soft oranges, magenta and cyan. Reflecting on the quiet sea. In nice company. A travel experience on Koh Rong that I won’t forget.
Check out other travel and photo blog posts!
Extra tips to travel to Koh Rong, Cambodia
How to get to Koh Rong, Cambodia?
Which visa to stay on Koh Rong, Cambodia?
Either if Koh Rong island is your first stop in Cambodia or if you get caught by Koh Rong nightlife’s vibes and don’t want to leave, you’ll need a visa. There are two solutions. First, you get a visa on arrival at the airport. Second, you buy the e-visa online on the gouvernment’s website (really, don’t trust any online agency or other website!). You’ll get it within a few hours to a few days.
Price for 30 days: 36$. For visa on arrival: one passport photo, visa fee and the visa application form.
To renew, when you are already on Koh Rong island since 4 weeks: 2 options.
- Take the ferry to Sihanoukville and go to a travel agency (every one on Koh Rong island knows about it)
- Give your passport at your hostel and they will bring it for you to Sihanoukville. A lot of travellers do that and even if I was sceptic, it worked perfectly.
What to do on Koh Rong island, beside party ?
Koh Rong’s nightlife isn’t the only cool thing to do on the island! Quick overview of how to spend the day, when the party mouse in you is sleeping.
- Boat tours around the island (with treks in the jungle or just chill on the boat). Or to Koh Rong Samloem for a day.
- Swim and chill on the beaches Long Set beach, Malibu beach, Police beach, 4k beach
- Go to Sky Bar, have a drink and get a view from the top
- A bit of sport and fun at Koh Rong High Rope Adventure Park
- Take a walk on the beaches (away from the main peer and lights) to see fluorescent plancton at night and the impressive red moon